What is a Vampire Facial?
Popular with celebrities, the “Vampire Facial” is a treatment that combines microneedling with Selphyl® PRP. The procedure offers gentle skin resurfacing along with collagen induction therapy without downtime. It is suitable for all skin types and is indicated for the following skin concerns:
- Fine lines
- Uneven skin texture
- Thin, crepey skin
- Enlarged pores
- Uneven skin tone
- Dull skin
- Scars (including acne, trauma, and surgical scars)
- Thinning hair
The Vampire Facial is one the safest and most effective non-invasive treatments for overall skin rejuvenation. Over a series of treatments, the Vampire Facial will smooth the skin and improve luminosity, providing a more youthful complexion.
What can I expect during a Vampire Facial?
The entire procedure takes approximately 45 minutes and consists of five steps:
- A blood sample is collected from the patient.
- The blood sample is spun in a centrifuge so that the red blood cells are removed, leaving behind the plasma (clear liquid portion of the blood). Plasma is rich in platelets which are essential for stimulating healthy collagen production.
- A microneedling treatment is performed. This creates controlled micro-injuries to the skin, stimulating the production of collagen and elastin.
- Immediately after the microneedling treatment, the patient’s plasma is applied topically over the treatment area. This infuses the PRP into the micro-injuries, stimulating the skin’s natural rejuvenation process.
- A soothing mask is applied over the treated skin for 15 minutes. The patient is advised not to wash their skin for at least six hours after the treatment has been completed.
What areas can be treated?
The Vampire Facial can essentially be performed on any part of the body where skin rejuvenation is desired. The most common areas are the face, neck, chest, and hairline.
Is there any discomfort during the Vampire Facial?
Not at all. You may feel a small pinch during the blood collection. Most patients describe the sensation of microneedling as a “light vibration” over the skin. If we are treating deep scars, we will apply a topical numbing agent to the skin before starting the procedure.
Will my face be bloody after the Vampire Facial?
Not at all. Advances in microneedling devices have virtually eliminated bleeding during the treatment. Also, the PRP is clear in colour and therefore not noticeable on the skin. Your skin may temporarily be a little pink after the treatment, however most patients appear as though they’ve had nothing done.
Is there any downtime after a Vampire Facial?
The Vampire Facial is a no-downtime treatment, and side effects are extremely rare. We typically do not recommend visiting a hot tub or sauna the day of your treatment, and will ask you to refrain from applying makeup until the next day. It is extremely important that you avoid deliberate sun exposure for about two weeks after your treatment. Your clinician will also provide you with post-treatment instructions so that you can properly care for your skin at home.
How many Vampire Facials do I need?
Optimal results will occur after a series of 4-6 treatments, spaced approximately 2-4 weeks apart, based on what conditions are being treated.
When will I begin to see results from the Vampire Facial?
Many patients notice an immediate glow after their first treatment. Over the next several months, as collagen remodelling occurs, you will notice smoother skin and more refined pores. Fine lines will be softer, and the skin will be more supple. In order to maintain results, proper skin care and use of daily sunscreen are essential.
How does the Vampire Facial work for thinning hair?
There is some evidence that a series of treatments can help stimulate hair growth in areas where the hair is thinning. It is unlikely that the Vampire Facial can restore hair growth in areas that are already completely bald.